Monday, March 2, 2009

The Snowy Day

Is it just me or does the snow bring out the inner child in you too? I love snow!!

It all started at around 8am when I looked out the bedroom window and saw the deep blanket of beautiful white snow covering our yard and everything else. Donnie saw it about the same time that I did and that's when the "child" came out. We both started dancing and jumping around like we were five years old. You can tell that we don't have snow very often.

Then came the wait.....waiting.....waiting longer. I wanted desperately to wake the kids up so they could see it and be as excited as I was. Donnie wouldn't let me wake them up because we were all so exhausted from sale week and volleyball tournament and they did need their rest. So I waited....and waited.

What's really odd about me (one of many things) is that I like to see the looks on my kid's faces when they see something for the first time. I wanted to make sure that I saw their faces when they walked downstairs and looked out the window. I at least wanted to see Faith's face because she had never seen that much snow. So what did I do? I took my pillow, blanket and laptop and went upstairs and waited and waited in the hallway outside of her door until she woke up. I waited almost an hour in the hallway with my pillow and laptop until she finally woke up and came out. Was it worth the wait? ABSOLUTELY!! She was thrilled when she walked downstairs and saw that gorgeous gift of snow that God had given us. I don't think she danced quite like Donnie and I did, but she was thrilled.

Next I had to wait for Keith and Beth to get up because I wanted us all to go out together at the same time. (odd again, right?) Keith woke up about an hour after Faith and then Beth woke up around lunch time. Uck!! I (we) had to wait f o r e v e r to go and play. Faith was okay waiting because she wanted Diddy outside with her as well.

We were finally ready to go outside and it was so worth the wait. We had a ball. We made snow angels, built lopsided snowmen, threw snowballs at each other and just layed in the snow. We took a walk in the woods and just took in all of the beauty We even spotted a pretty little buttercup that had peeked its head out of the ground that was covered in snow.

We played and played and played. It was awesome. It's amazing that something as simple as snow can take you back to your childhood and make you want to just let go and have fun.

I am not sure who had the most fun. It was probably Donnie and I because we just played like we hadn't been able to play in a long time. And how much fun it is to play with your children and them look at you and say, "mom and dad, you really are fun to be with".

Thank you Lord for snow days and slow days. Thank you for good, I mean great, times with our children. Time goes by so fast and days like yesterday let you slow down and enjoy the gift of family.























5 comments:

  1. How Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks like you all had a blast! I'm gald it didn't all melt away before the sleepy heads got up! Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How Beautiful!!!!!!! I'm sure glad it didn't all melt away before the sleepy heads got up! Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mary it was beautiful. I wish your family would have been here to play with us. We would have thrown big snowballs at Shad.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you guys had a TON of fun!! I also loved seeing the looks on my kids faces when they saw the snow!! We don't seem to get enough snow around here do we? However, I am now looking forward to flip flop weather.

    Love you,
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey NeeNaw. It was a ton of fun for all of us, but I agree that flip flops are on the top of my wanna do list now. I am ready for sunshine. Thanks again for the help the other day but also for the great company. I love you.

    ReplyDelete