Monday, June 29, 2009

Early Birthday Present

What I asked to do for my birthday may seem a little strange to some of you, but to me it was just perfect. I love the Amish culture. I am fascinated by how they live their simple lives, their strong faith in God, their love of family, their natural way of living. I don't necessarily like their lack of electricity, but hey, it's not me doing without lights. So, I asked Donnie to take me to on a trip to Amish Country.
Donnie and the kids took me this past Saturday to Ethridge, Tn, to visit an Amish community. We spent the entire day driving around, sight seeing and shopping. The Amish offer their goods for sale at their homes. You would drive past driveways with signs that read what they were selling. There were all kinds of vegetables, jellys, molasses, baskets, candies, breads and much more. It was awesome. You just pulled up in their driveway, got out, walked to their porches or little garages and there was all there stuff for sale. I brought home so many tasty goodies and a couple of woven baskets. We got to see one older lady actually weaving a beautiful basket. What a treat.

We took a few pictures while we were there, but not many. Amish will not have their photos taken as they consider it a graven image. I did take a picture of Marshall's Store, where we ate "the world's best ham sandwich". I have to say that it was a pretty tasty sandwich; white bread and all. (I haven't had white bread in years)

We had a ball, and I love that my family never complained about being in the car all day sight seeing. They really do sacrifice a lot for me. They say that it's because they love me so much. Thank you to my precious family. I love you guys more than you will ever know.

2 comments:

  1. How fun...where is this? How far was it from you all? I hope your birthday is wonderful girl! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, it was a great day. Ethridge is about 2 hours from here. You go through Fayetteville, Pulaski and then Lawrencburg. Great place but not as pretty as the Amish communities in Pennsylvania. I still loved it though.

    ReplyDelete